Like Blocks , why and what you can do!

Henry Cooper

Staff member
Oct 10, 2017
t.me
Welcome to the Friday-Apocalypse aka "The day Instagram introduced like blocks to ASN / Subnets" .

The power of likes and why are they blocked ?!

Why does Instagram hate us , the automation and engagement group users , so much ? There is a simple answer to that : We are not paying them for reach ! Companies like Facebook , Google and any other Social Media / Data Mining sites make money by providing ads to their user base . When we use engagement groups or automation we are getting reach , that should have been paid reach , simple as that . But why the likes and not the follows ? A follow has no weight in post reach . Likes on the other hand play a role in the content delivery algorithm . So based on the likes a specific post is receiving , Instagram decides to which users and also how many users (for testing the quality and relevance for your content ) your content will be exposed to . That is the reason why power likes and engagement groups do work ( why they can be bad , we will talk in another topic about ) .

WTF is an ASN or Subnets

As most of us know there is domain whois services that tell us the owner of a specific domain . Same principle applies to IPs and Subnets . ASN stands for Autonomous System Number(s) . These numbers are like IDs that are assigned to specific IP / Subnet holders . We can use [this] website for checking the ASN . If we use "96.127.32.0" for a check we will get the following result:

AS : 8987
IP : 96.127.32.0
AS Name : AMAZON EXPANSION, GB

So lets say Instagram wants to get rid of all Amazon VPS IPs , they would just block the ASN "8987" and/or blacklist the AS Name "AMAZON" . It is as simple as that . Sometimes companies have many different ASN but the same company name in it . Scary isn't it ? The worst part is that blocked bots wont complain . I have the theory that ASN blocks are elastic , which means that if a critical mass of users is hit as collateral damage , the ASN block will be lifted . Some Instagram automation tools have a build in report function already , but only time will show if it will help .

What should I do now and what are residential proxies ?

That really depends on your situation . If you are managing your own accounts and you want growth , you will most likely survive with follow/unfollow for now . Even if you manage client accounts you should be fine with follow/unfollow ( if not maybe take a second look at your business model ) . The reason why you should consider switching to or stay with follow/unfollow is the cost of residential proxies . They cost 2-3 times what normal data center proxies cost . I highly recommend to make an economical and logical decision on this problem .

If you can't accept the fact that you are like blocked , there is a solution . Residential proxies ! The only difference between a residential and a data center proxy is the ASN . Mainly because both the "data center" and the "residential" proxy are located on a server in a data center . So the reason why a residential ASN is helping so much with this particular issue , is the fact that Instagram does not want lock out real users , since they earn a lot of ad revenue through them .

I hope this little explanation helped and if there is any further questions or ideas , post them below !

Last edited:

SkinnyGirl

Oct 10, 2017
Hi HenryCooper. You have written in another forum:
"If likes still don't work after IP change you either
A) picked another batch of bad IPs
B) your account has other issues"

So if someone has now switched several times the proxy provider and the like block is still there, maybe it is, as you mentioned, 'B'. Can you think of what 'issue' it could be respectively how to solve that?
Thank you for any advice :)(y)

Henry Cooper

Staff member
Oct 10, 2017
t.me
So if someone has now switched several times the proxy provider and the like block is still there, maybe it is, as you mentioned, 'B'. Can you think of what 'issue' it could be respectively how to solve that?
The best would be testing on an account where you know 100% that it is "only" a IP based like block . If the like blocks persists , you can be sure it is the IP and not the account . If you test above problem on an already troublesome account , you probably wont get any results .

I hope that helped ! Let me know if you need more help on this topic . ;)

Reactions: SkinnyGirl

SkinnyGirl

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for your input, @Henry Cooper.
One more question - for you it make sense - for me it is still mysterious:
Why are some accounts affected with the LIKE BLOCK via LIKE TOOLS, but sometimes the same accounts can do likes after following another account?! So LIKE-AFTER-FOLLOW: possible, LIKE-OF-A-PICTURE-IN-THE-NEWS-FEED or -OF-A-FOLLOWER: NO?!
Thank you for your explanation & time

Henry Cooper

Staff member
Oct 10, 2017
t.me
Thank you for your input, @Henry Cooper.
One more question - for you it make sense - for me it is still mysterious:
Why are some accounts affected with the LIKE BLOCK via LIKE TOOLS, but sometimes the same accounts can do likes after following another account?! So LIKE-AFTER-FOLLOW: possible, LIKE-OF-A-PICTURE-IN-THE-NEWS-FEED or -OF-A-FOLLOWER: NO?!
Thank you for your explanation & time
Highly speculative , but there might be a scoring system and sometimes the positive score exceeds the negative score from the proxy . Might be just an anomaly . Neither Two-Factor-Auth nor being a big 250k high engagement account seems to help exceeding the required score permanently . Just let it go @SkinnyGirl :D

Reactions: SkinnyGirl

Luke

Oct 26, 2017
The best would be testing on an account where you know 100% that it is "only" a IP based like block . If the like blocks persists , you can be sure it is the IP and not the account . If you test above problem on an already troublesome account , you probably wont get any results .

I hope that helped ! Let me know if you need more help on this topic . ;)
In your experience it has nothing to so with the speed settings? (considering they are under the standard limits of maximum actions per hour). I know instagress is using a new speed setting algortithm...

I have one account on that bot and it is functioning really well.

Attachments

Henry Cooper

Staff member
Oct 10, 2017
t.me
In your experience it has nothing to so with the speed settings? (considering they are under the standard limits of maximum actions per hour). I know instagress is using a new speed setting algortithm...
There is 2 types of like blocks .
- Account related
- Proxy related

It is not always easy to figure out what kind of like block it is . Changing to your home IP is an extreme , but easy , way to test where the issues are coming from .

Reactions: Luke

tgparker

May 13, 2018
Getting the dreaded “Like Block” on 5 accounts… Took one account off of proxy and it’s still “Like blocked”. I’ve turned off “Like” and “Like Comment” on all my accounts.
Not sure if it was too many likes and comments or because of my Proxy.
I guess the only thing to do is sit and wait 24 hours and if/when “Like Block” is lifted, dial down “Likes” and “Like Comments” to only 30 likes a day.
Any other ideas/suggestions gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
TG